Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Just watched in the mood for love (花樣年華).
Blue Valentine twice in two days.
You are the apple of my eye (那些年,我們一起追的女孩) ~ a week ago.

Utterly confused on what love is all about.

-

In all honesty I didn't find the last as great as it was said to be, maybe I should watch it again. That said, it was still light hearted, sweet and quite enjoyable. And safe from cliched endings.

Blue Valentine was so raw, it speaks of the truth. There is something new you can pick up after each watch, it will be a movie I will review at least once a year. The breakdown of a relationship.. I tried to rationalize it many times, but come to a different conclusion every time. Trust and love is hinged upon the past, history, so many things untold..

In the mood for love had brilliant, captivating scenes and meaningful use of visuals. I like how the older movies move in a slower pace and make greater use of symbols, giving audiences more space to think. I loved the smart use of visual clues and repetition to aid in the stringing up of evidence and emotional connection to the characters. Also, the lingering touch of the music. I quote: "A movie suffused with ravishing physical beauty and infinite sadness".

-

Blue Valentine: "How do you trust your feelings when they can just disappear like that?"

花樣年華: "Feelings can creep up just like that. I thought I was in control"

Similar quotes, I feel, by no coincidence. I find the entire concept of love (a.. concept) so hard to grasp. What is it?

-

He remembers those vanished years. As though looking throusth a dusty window pane, the past is something he could see, but not touch.

And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct.

-------------------------

Feel like "modern" movies sometimes move in such a blur, that thoughts only reside in your mind for that split second before it gets distracted by the next scene. So all you're left with at the end of the movie is a state of confusion.

-

2046, royston tan and eric khoo films next on the list. My friend's going to lend me a copy of yumeji soon. Not forgetting the list my friends have given me. On top of that, I have signed up for japanese classes, plan to look for a piano teacher after my trip, find a job..

where can I find time for myself? The hour walk around the park felt important to me; I thought - it'd be nice to get away from home and find freedom, in a place where nobody recognizes me and I have the right the be lost in my thoughts.

-

I cannot stand it. The music for 花樣年華 is too beautiful.

No comments: